On Thursday, Kuwait’s Emir Sheikh Nawaf Al Ahmad Al Jaber Al Sabah issued a decree, accepting the resignations of defense and interior ministers.
Issuing a statement on the latest decision, government spokesperson Tareq Al Mirzem stated that an Emiri decree, accepting the resignations, had been issued.
According to the decree, Foreign Minister Sheikh Dr. Ahmad Nasser Al Mohammad Al Sabah would assume caretaker defense ministry and Oil Minister Mohammad Al Fares would come in as caretaker interior minister until any further appointment.
Defense Minister Sheikh Hamad Jaber Al Ali and Interior Minister Sheikh Ahmed Al Mansour, both members of the ruling family, submitted their resignations on Wednesday amid a standoff between the cabinet and parliament.
Issuing a joint statement on their decisions, both ministers said, “We would not be exaggerating if we said that, at the time we are earnestly working to make achievements, it has unfortunately become impossible to achieve reform, especially in light of this atmosphere.”
The current government, the country’s third in 2021, was established in line with the “National Dialogue,” a process launched by Kuwait’s Emir Sheikh Nawaf, to bring an end to a long-standing disagreement between the elected parliament and appointed government.