In a phone call with Qatar’s Emir, Tamim bin Hamad Al Thani, on Saturday, US President Joe Biden expressed his gratitude for Qatar’s efforts to evacuate international soldiers from Afghanistan, according to the White House.
“The President noted that this is the largest airlift of people in history and that it would not have been possible without the early support from Qatar to facilitate the transfer of thousands of people daily,” said the statement.
President Biden also expressed gratitude to Qatar for hosting the intra-Afghan negotiations, which began in September of last year and brought Afghanistan’s warring groups together in Doha.
Qatar is presently collaborating with the United Nations, the US, and other international partners to ensure that Afghans and foreigners are safely evacuated from Kabul following the withdrawal of US and NATO troops and the Taliban’s takeover.
Lolwah Al-Khater, Doha’s Assistant Foreign Minister and Ministry of Foreign Affairs Spokesperson, also rejected accusations made by Western media about Qatar’s reported unwillingness to admit additional Afghans on Saturday.
“I can only speak on Qatar evacuation missions, they will continue! In the past 72 hours, we evacuated over 300 mostly female students and over 200 media personnel; many of them with their families and kids who are now safe in comfortable accommodation in Doha,” said Al-Khater.
The Qatari envoy also addressed the situation in Afghanistan with James Cleverly, the British Minister of State for the Middle East and North Africa.
“I thanked her for Qatar’s continued mediation role, and the help they have provided in getting British nationals back to the UK from Kabul,” said the British MP.