Iran has responded to US criticism of an EU draft proposal to save the 2015 nuclear agreement, calling it “constructive,” but Washington has not taken a favorable stance.
Nasser Kanaani, a spokesperson for the Iranian foreign ministry, said in a statement early on Friday that the response had been given to the EU coordinator and that it has a “positive approach” to concluding the negotiations.
“The Islamic Republic’s expert team carefully reviewed the US answer after receiving it, and the response was assembled and submitted to the coordination tonight,” Kanaani added.
He said that “evaluations at various levels” were used to put together the response. The US State Department acknowledged receiving the reply but did not give it a favorable evaluation. “Unfortunately, we are looking into it and will reply through the EU.
According to an alleged Biden administration source published by Politico, “we appear to be slipping backwards” based on Iran’s response to the US comments.
Since April of last year, despite numerous setbacks, negotiations between Iran and the major international powers to resurrect the 2015 nuclear agreement have been going on in the Austrian capital Vienna.
After the most recent round of negotiations, which took place in Vienna last month after a five-month break, Josep Borrell, the EU’s top diplomat and the coordinator of indirect discussions between Iran and the US, put up a fresh draught plan.