//

US military withdrawal to be completed by the end of August, Biden says

The US President said that the withdrawal is being carried out in a secure and orderly way.

2 mins read

President Joe Biden stated that the US troops’ withdrawal from Afghanistan will be concluded by the end of August. Speaking at a press conference on late Thursday, President said that the withdrawal is being proceeded in a secure and orderly way, “prioritizing the safety of our troops as they depart.”

Upon the question of whether the 20-year war was worth it for the US to be present in Afghanistan militarily, Biden responded that he has always opposed that the US presence in there permanently, and no nation has been unified in Afghanistan.

Stressing that the US presence in Afghanistan mainly arose from two factors, which were to capture Al-Qaeda leader Osama bin Laden and avert the group’s capacity to attack the US, Biden said, “We’ve accomplished both of these objectives.

Biden explained the cost of the 20-year war in Afghanistan for the US is a trillion dollars which have been used for training and equipping Afghan forces, 2448 Americans’ death, and 20,722 wounded. “I will not send another generation of Americans to war in Afghanistan,” he added.

Regarding the question of whether the Taliban is a credible actor, Joe Biden said he does not trust the Taliban. Yet, he added that the seizure of Afghanistan by the group is “not inevitable” after US troops’ withdrawal. Emphasizing that the Afghan forces are “better trained, better equipped, and more competent in terms of conducting war,” Biden expressed his belief in the Afghan army.

The president also highlighted that it is “doubtful” a unified government could dominate throughout the entire Afghanistan after the US withdrawal.

Earlier on Thursday, White House spokesperson Jen Psaki stressed that no side has won the war in Afghanistan militarily while the US forces continue to pull out. In her speech, Psaki said, “We’re not going to have a mission accomplished moment.”

Meanwhile, US Central Command (CENTCOM) announced through a statement issued on Tuesday that the withdrawal of US forces from Afghanistan is more than 90% complete.

Latest from Blog