A travel ban has been given by Sudan’s security service on members of a task force overseeing the country’s transition to democracy, government sources said, as tensions between civilian and military leaders threaten to boil over weeks after a failed coup.
The political crisis erupted on September 21, when Prime Minister Abdalla Hamdok said rogue troops had sought to derail the revolution, similar to that which removed former president Omar al-Bashir from power in 2019, by force.
On Wednesday, two senior civilian government sources said that the General Intelligence Service’s (GIS) travel ban affected 11 civilian officials, most members of the committee tasked with dismantling al-Bashir’s financial and political legacy.
There was no immediate comment from the GIS.
The sources said the list included Mohamed Al-Faki, who at a news conference last month accused the military of using the coup as an excuse to try to seize power.
Al-Faki is also part of the ruling Sovereign Council, which is made up of both civilian and military officials and has been running Sudan since al-Bashir’s overthrow.
Since the coup attempt, military leaders have withdrawn protection for the task force committee and demanded changes to the civilian coalition with which they share power.