Sudan’s ruling sovereign council will be dissolved after the formation of a new government, Sudan’s army chief Gen. Abdel Fattah al-Burhan said on Monday.
The army will withdraw from the ongoing political talks and allow political and revolutionary groups to sit together to agree on the formation of a civilian government, al-Burhan said in a televised speech.
Adding that a higher council of the army and the Rapid Support Forces (RSF) will be established after the dissolution of the sovereign council, he said, “The sovereign council will be dissolved once political parties agree on forming a civilian government.”
Amid a boycott of the Forces of Freedom and Change (FFC) coalition, talks aimed at resolving a months-long political crisis in Sudan started last month, which spearheaded protests that led to the ouster of long-serving President Omar al-Bashir in 2019.
FFC wants the military to leave power and demands the formation of a fully civilian government in the country.
Since last October, when the military dismissed Prime Minister Abdalla Hamdok’s transitional government, a move decried by political forces as a “military coup,” Sudan has been in turmoil.
According to Sudanese medics, more than 100 people have been killed in protests against the military since October.