The Saudi-led coalition in conflict with the Houthi movement in Yemen declared that they had diverted six explosive drones fired to the Kingdom on Friday, with the Houthis announcing to have flung attacks into southern Saudi Arabia. The Iran-backed Houthis have lately stepped up cross-border drone and missile attacks on Saudi cities, commonly aiming at the southern fragment of the country. The coalition utters that it interrupts most attacks.
The Houthis launched six intercepted drones towards Khamis Mushait adjoining the Yemen border in conflict outbreaks during dawn, the Saudi state news agency SPA and Ekhbariya TV said. Houthi military spokesperson Yahya Sarea said in Twitter posts on Friday that five drones had been fired and hit Abha International Airport and King Khalid Air Base, in the Khamis Mushait area.
Meanwhile, Yemen’s Houthi forces mentioned on Thursday that they fired a missile and hit a Saudi Aramco facility in the Red Sea city of Jeddah. There had been no verification from the Saudi authorities. The United States and United Nations have renewed peace efforts as fighting has also deepened in Yemen’s gas-rich Marib region.
On Tuesday, the U.S. Treasury Department imposed new sanctions on two Houthi military leaders. The conflict is widely seen as a proxy war between Saudi Arabia and Iran. The Houthis deny being puppets of Tehran and say they are fighting a corrupt system.