In order to revive the 2015 nuclear deal with major powers amid a growing crisis over the country’s atomic program, Iran said it is ready for new indirect talks with the United States to overcome the last hurdles.
The Iranian “negotiating team is ready to engage constructively again to conclude and reach an agreement,” Tehran’s UN Ambassador Majid Takht Ravanchi told the UN Security Council on Thursday.
He expressed, “The ball is in US’s court, and if the US acts realistically and shows its serious intention to implement its obligations, the agreement is not out of reach.”
Indirect negotiations between Iran and the US ended in Qatar after failing to make significant progress, prompting Ravanchi’s remarks came a day after. Yet Ravanchi described the Qatar talks as “serious and positive”.
He added that Iran will contact the European Union coordinators “for the next stage of talks”.
Last week, during intensive consultations with EU’s foreign policy chief Josep Borrell in Tehran, “Iran once again emphasized its willingness to provide creative solutions to the remaining issues in the hope of ending the deadlock,” Ravanchi told the UN meeting.