US claims that Tehran has made new “extravagant demands” during indirect talks in Doha to revive the 2015 nuclear deal were rejected by Iranian Foreign Minister Hossein Amir-Abdollahian on Wednesday.
Stressing that Tehran was ready for a “good, strong and stable agreement,” Amir-Abdollahian said Iran’s demands were in line with the 2015 nuclear accord during a joint press conference with his Qatari counterpart Mohammed bin Abdulrahman Al Thani in Tehran.
Without divulging more details, the top Iranian diplomat responded to US special envoy for Iran Robert Malley’s comments on Tuesday in which he said Iran had added “new demands” during the Doha talks.
After EU foreign policy chief Josep Borrell’s whirlwind trip to Tehran, the indirect talks between Iran and the US, mediated by the European Union (EU), were held in the Qatari capital last week.
The one important objective of his trip to Tehran, according to Borrell, was to break the deadlock in the Vienna nuclear talks, reduce tensions and create fresh impetus and opportunity to put the stalled talks back on track.
The first round of the two-day talks ended without any significant progress. The negotiations are likely to resume after US President Joe Biden’s forthcoming trip to Middle East this month.
One of the main issues that figured in the discussions in Doha was “effective guarantees” from the American side about Iran’s “economic benefits” from the deal, Amir-Abdollahian said.
He added that Washington has not been able to give Iran those guarantees.