On Monday, according to the Lebanese state’s local news agency, 68 people were charged by a Lebanese judge on a deadly clash in Beirut that left seven people dead and dozens wounded.
The clash mentioned, which took place in the south of Beirut on October 14, was the most violent conflict in the capital in years and broke out during a Hezbollah-organized demonstration against the judge leading the investigation into last year’s massive Beirut port blast.
The local news agency said, “Government Commissioner to the Military Court Judge Fadi Akiki charged the 68 people with crimes including murder, attempted murder, inciting sectarian strife, having unlicensed weapons and sabotage.”
The skirmish in the capital went on for hours between factions of Lebanon’s two influential Shiite factions, Hezbollah and Amal, and gunmen believed to be supporters of the Christian Lebanese Forces party.
It took place on the line between Beirut’s Chiyah and Ain El-Rumaneh neighborhoods, the same frontline that divided the capital into warring factions during the country’s civil war.
The Government Commissioner said 18 people were in detention while the other 50 people convicted remain at large. The affiliation of the said people have not been announced.